QB Charting, Week 2: Redskins-Packers

Washington Redskins

Robert Griffin III: Week 2, at Green Bay.

Passing Breakdown

  Comp. Att. Yards Sacks Sck Yards TDs INTs ANY/A
Dropback 18 31 200 0 0 3 1 6.94
Play-Action 6 7 101 1 6 0 0 11.88
Screen 2 2 19 0 0 0 0 9.50
Designed Rollout 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00
Total 26 40 320 1 6 3 1 8.02

Rushing/Miscellaneous Stats

  Scrambles Yards Fumbles Penalties Drops Inaccurate throws
Dropback 0 0 0 0 4 5
Play-Action 1 4 0 0 0 0
Screen 1 2 0 0 0 0
Designed Rollout 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 2 6 0 0 4 5

Reason #768 why Sportscenter is going down the tubes: 95% of the analysis Jaws, Eric Davis and the like have put forth on the Redskins’ 0-2 start has centered around shouting “WHAT’S WRONG WITH RGIII?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!” as loudly as they possibly can. The other 5% of the time, they may casually mention in passing that the Redskins have given up 71 points and over 1000 yards defensively combined in their first two games. Clearly it’s Griffin’s fault that the Redskins haven’t been able to cover anyone or tackle a corpse in a phone booth thus far this season. It’s also obviously Griffin’s fault that his receivers have dropped 11 passes so far, including one Sunday by Josh Morgan that would have converted a fourth down and instead flew into the hands of Mike Neal for Griffin’s only interception.

I’m not saying RGIII’s been totally blameless so far in 2013. He’s been inaccurate on five incompletions in each of the first two games, which isn’t a bad total but definitely isn’t fantastic, either. And he clearly hasn’t regained the same breakaway speed that he showed before his knee injury in the playoffs last January (“C’mon, Robert! It’s been a full eight months since your total knee reconstruction, time to take the training wheels off!”) But as a passer, Griffin’s looked as good, if not better, than he did last season. Remember: last year, the Shanahans built the Redskins’ game entirely around play-action and generated a crap ton of wide-open throws in the middle of the field for RGIII. For whatever reason, they’ve dramatically lessened the amount of play-action throws in the game plan thus far and it’s been considerably tougher sledding for Griffin this year. But make no mistake: there’s nothing wrong with 26 for 40 for 320 yards and three touchdowns. Blame everybody else (and count the defense twice, because Lord have mercy have they been awful) on Washington for their 0-2 start before you blame Griffin.

Green Bay Packers

Aaron Rodgers: Week 2, vs. Washington.

Passing Breakdown

  Comp. Att. Yards Sacks Sck Yards TDs INTs ANY/A
Dropback 24 30 336 4 39 4 0 11.09
Play-Action 6 8 100 0 0 0 0 12.50
Screen 4 4 44 0 0 0 0 11.00
Designed Rollout 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00
Total 34 42 480 4 39 4 0 11.33

Rushing/Miscellaneous Stats

  Scrambles Yards Fumbles Penalties Drops Inaccurate throws
Dropback 0 0 0 0 1 3
Play-Action 0 0 0 0 1 0
Screen 0 0 0 0 0 0
Designed Rollout 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0 0 2 3

The only area for improvement in Rodgers’ performance on Sunday is the same area he’s always been less than stellar at: taking sacks. Basically every time the Redskins got pressure on him (which wasn’t very often), he turtled up and just ate the yardage. On the other hand, when you’re averaging close to 11 yards per attempt every other time you drop back, protecting your moneymaker and living to fight another day isn’t the worst tactic, either. The rest of his performance is pretty self-explanatory if you look at the stat line or watched 30 seconds worth of highlights from the game. But in case you came here looking for cutting-edge analysis, here it is: Aaron Rodgers is really good at football and promises to be so in the future as well.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s