I started writing a big, long post explaining in depth the statistical methods I plan on using on this blog to defend my inane predictions, but I then realized two things:
- I haven’t actually created any of these methods myself and the people who actually came up with them most likely will explain them better than I will.
- Writing that stuff is really boring.
Thus, I’m just going to use this post as a big link dump for the explanations behind all the advanced stats that I’ve found helpful and get back to making Mike Singletary jokes.
- The seminal book on football statistics
- Some good research on how teams win
- Background on Pythagorean Records
- Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt and its massive importance
- Expected Points values for every yard-line on the field
I’ll go back and edit this post if and when I find more articles I think are neat-o.